In this week’s episode, we’ll discuss how to be purposeful with our holiday decor without being a grinch.
You know how it goes. The school year has barely begun and retailers are already pushing holiday decor. Just the other day I walked into Costco only to be caught off guard by Christmas trees and twinkle lights. Halloween was still over a week away! While there’s nothing wrong with crafting a cozy space to enjoy during the holiday, there is also something to be said about being intentional.
On bringing new decor in:
- Create an experience – gingerbread houses, crafting paper chains with kiddos, advent calendar on the wall, wall trees, paper snowflakes, create your own wrapping paper (can be less expensive)
- Analyze your reasoning for the purchase. Make a list before you set out so you aren’t tempted by the discounted prices.
- Bring the outdoors in! Greens, Pumpkins, Flowers (Trader Joes has GREAT deals on these.)
On the decorations you already have:
- It can’t ALL be your favorite or nothing is really your favorite.
- Purge what you have.
- Keep the meaningful.
- Don’t go overboard. Less is best.
- Decorate with music!
- Decor you can toss
- Wrap mirrors, frames with wrapping paper
- Admire others’ decor.
Links Discussed in This Episode:
- Reading People book
- Podcast: The Next Right Thing (Episode One)
- Apartment Therapy – Minimalist Decorating
- Eco-Friendly Holiday Decorating
- Megan’s DIY Garland
- Spotify Playlist – Rat Pack Christmas
- Minimalist Moms: A Very Minimalist Christmas (Part One) (Part Two) & Thanksgiving Minimalism
Click here to get the show notes emailed to your inbox each week.
And, don’t forget to leave us a rating or review on iTunes. We throw a mini dance party every time we see one of those!
Can't remember that thing we said?
Subscribe to get show notes delivered to your email inbox each week.